04 February 2009

25 Reasons to Be OK Without a Job (for Now)

25. I’ve been looking for a reason to play with the Bullet I rec’d for xmas. The thing on the infomercials, y’know, for food. Dinner in ten seconds. If I get good at it, maybe I can make dinner so fast, I’ll gain time. Also, I can become an advanced Formanizer. With the food processor and mixer that I also rec’d, I can learn to work magic in the kitchen.

24. Finally, there’s time to alphabetize the DVDs. The CDs. The spices. Stand back, I’m an English language professional.

23. Dance lessons.

22. Uh … OK, who the frak do I think I’m kidding? I’m going to go take over the little room and unpack my home office stuff …


25 goals to consider for the next two weeks of salaried vaca

Obviously this is brainstorming and I’ll need to prune to reasonable levels; that said, I’ll try to steer clear of the seemingly impossible. No ‘learn to fly.’

1. write something original every day, surely you can do that

2. a project a day, or if project is too much, one definible step. Today, set up the sewing station to make a mole with the backup child. Something to do with science class…? With the machine up already, mend something. See? Project.

3.longer walkies…though not today, because now that the snow stopped and what fell mostly melted, it looks really soggy, and because today is your wake up and feel sorry for yourself and get it out of the way day

4. clean up diets around these parts. Tie teenager to chair and forcefeed vegetables.

5. a chunk of organizing every day, tho this needs planning in detail (this is something long overdue, all planned for 2008 and carried out before and after vit D deficiency among other things, so the house is partially done, maybe more than halfway)

6. the essays, my dear, the essays. Stop and Think. Jump Off a Cliff. Always Bet on the Spotted Horse. This can be done, or at least brainstormed. I put it here instead of work work because it’ll be more fun than work

7. try not to obsess about the job search. You need some time off too, or some time to focus on life and all its possibilities.

8. leave the house every day; go somewhere different if you can, somewhere you’ve never been if at all possible (though maybe not today, see #3 for excuse). Savage Mill. All the libraries in Howard. All the Starbucks in Howard. Lake Kittamaqundi and Centennial Lake. All those stores in Balto you never make time for.

9. purge/sync online and offline address books; remove Elsevier phone from personal records at creditors; maybe this should go on the organizing list

10. wear your stupid guard during the day if you have to, you moron, ouch

11. keep track; that will help, it really will

12. LPs—all those bloody scratched up LPs. Do some projects, organize the tools, record some music.

13. make lists of 25 things until head explodes

14. do some Art Homework every day (see #8)

15. learn some Chinese curses, ta ma de

16. go to the national portrait gallery on a weekday and just walk around for like 4 hours (see #14)

17. read

18. set up calendar

19. write three new chapters, conform at least the first seven with outline as it stands, clean out all old notes for Moon

20. quit smoking, oh yeah, this should come first

21. reorganize kitchen storage

22. barter for some wood

23. mending

24. find map of paths

25. clean jewelry

Well, that’s 25 things to think about. I wrote something today, and cleaned out the office closet, and read a little; it’s a start.

jw

1 comment:

Julia Will said...

I wrote the list on Tuesday. So far I've fulfilled #1, writing every day. Also 18 and 21 are done. And I bought the patch (20). Today I went to a store I've never been to before, but everything else fell aside because on Wednesday I scored the job interview I wanted. It's hard to concentrate and get organized when all I can think about is Monday I have this interview. Today was scattered, no writing time, so that's what I off to do now. Cheers, jw